Thursday, October 15, 2009

Always look on the bright side of life

[Monty Python whistling here]

This week has been devoted to "defragmentation." With my heart in Austria, my body in Baton Rouge, my head somewhere in between, and my possessions strewn from Hell to breakfast, I was feeling pretty fragmented. This was counterproductive to my teaching, grading, correspondence, eating and sleeping habits. So last weekend I had a couple of indoor project days (Target shelving unit with about 300 pieces), this week I've been grading like a wild woman, and I finally managed to get to the OMV and insurance office. I now have a Louisiana Brown Pelican on my license plate! And I only had to pay about half the fees I expected :-)

The insurance visit was a fiasco. After 45 minutes the agent still wasn't finished processing my information and I had to excuse myself to teach class. I was so annoyed! But on the way home, I was driving along one of those beautiful live oak-lined boulevards in the Garden District and saw what I thought was a big pigeon drinking from a rain puddle in the middle of the street. Turns out that it was no pigeon, but a sharp-shinned hawk! Luckily I had my camera with me. Ta-da!



(I love that you can see strands of old blackened Mardi Gras beads from the St. Patrick's Day parade that goes through the neighborhood! Kind of makes up for the fact that you can't see his head.)

So I think there's a reason for everything! If the insurance agent hadn't kept me so long, I never would have seen this hawk at precisely the moment he was getting a drink! Pretty cool, huh? Share your "bright sides" in the comments!

2 comments:

LeeEdgarTyler said...

The photo of that hawk with the weathered Mardi Gras beads was a high spot of my day. Had a great discussion about what to cover in the second half of the class in the Intro to Humanities course. Some bright lights in that class. We settled on the British Invasion, Plantation culture, the tango, the Creoles, Persepolis, and Perseus. Sort of restored my faith in the future.

Drew said...

That is very cool! And I'm sorry I never sent you any LA tokens while you were in Austria... I'm a terrible ex-student. Shame on me. In my defense, I don't think I fully expected you to ever come back! I figured I had my whole life to send you stuff or visit! Guess I was wrong! :-)

Take care and hope to see you soon!