Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday morning

Surprisingly, I've still got power here shortly before 6:00 am, but that's not going to last too long I suspect.  Waking up to sustained winds of 20 mph (32 km/h) with gusts up to 50 mph (80km/h).  The wind speeds are expect to increase. The reports I'm hearing say that the storm will linger over Baton Rouge for 24 hours (!) and bring lots and lots and lots and lots of rain (10-15 inches, 25-38 cm).  The center of circulation, or eye, will pass directly over Baton Rouge this afternoon. If that is the case we can expect most of the damage from downed trees. The same thing happened with Katrina: the ground got saturated with water, the winds blew from east to west on the north side of the storm, and from west to east when the south side of the storm passed over.  Trees just toppled and crushed houses.

Luckily the trees around my apartment probably won't do much damage to my place or car. I'll check in again when I can. Keep a good thought, everybody!

No comments: